Advanced Raman Techniques and Combinations
Which lasers are suitable for Raman analyses?
A laser suitable for Raman microscopy has the following characteristics:
- Gaussian beam shape (single longitudinal mode TEM00), so that it can be focused onto a diffraction-limited spot
- a narrow line shape of well below 1 cm-1, to avoid broadening of the Raman lines
- very stable in frequency (variations < 0.01 cm-1), to allow stress measurements with high accuracy
- very stable in intensity (< 1-2 % power fluctuations), to allow accurate and comparable measurements of concentrations
- Linear polarization, to allow the observation of polarization-dependent sample properties